We canned green beans this Sunday, today. The Handmaiden handled it and I did the fretting. Worked just fine. Seven quarts of beautiful green beans to eat this Winter and Spring. The Handmaiden used the juice from the heating of the green beans to top off the quart jars and I loved that. The juice has the goodies in it, the vitamins that make it all worth while. I had never been around canning before and I was a little worried about the contraption blowing us to smithereens right here in our own kitchen. The Handmaiden handled it very well. She is a pretty smart cookie in the kitchen. The things I really want to save over the cold months are the squash and pumpkins. And they don't can the damn things! You just put down newspapers in a cool dark place and they keep real well. Saves on that energy bill. I got to reading the directions on how to do jellies and jams and they are just falling down easy. You don't even can them but rather get them hot and let them seal. It's a little more complicated than that but you can catch my drift. Just go online and get recipes and you will be okay. The Handmaiden and I are talking pretty seriously about getting some rabbits and breeding our own meat. You can can that stuff too! And those little pieces of rabbit poop can do you a favor down in your garden in the Fall. You have to take care of the ground and your seeds will take care of the rest. I need a bag of Dolomite dust to sprinkle on my tomatoes so they won't get blossom rot or end rot. Dolomite has both Calcium and Magnesium and that is exactly what your tomatoes need. And it don't take much. Just a sprinkle around each plant and go on to the next one. I'd say you could get by with a pound or two for a small amount of tomatoes.
The rabbits are for a variety of meat in our diet. That way we can eat venison, fish and rabbit on a day to day basis. It's not like the grocery store but the price is unbeatable and the nutrients are great. We can have our venison ground into sausage and maybe we will still get eggs from the Amish. I am not doing too well in the chicken arena. But another guy here is working on a chicken coop this very weekend and there is a good chance that progress is being made. And the meat will be from HERE and not from some PISSHOLE in China or somewhere else. I am getting sick of this globalist food and the bullshit tricks involved in it's production. Globalism is a scam and a farce. The food it brings is poison. Eat locally. To hell with foreign food. Obama will sell our GMO soybeans to China or whoever wants them. We preppers can sit at home and eat the good stuff. Damn right! That's the way things should be. Eat what you grow at your retreat. That way you can have the biggest chance of knowing what the hell is in your food. Keep the raw poop off of your crops when they are growing and just put it on the dirt in the Fall or Winter. That way you don't get a big dose of e.coli for supper. You stay healthy and fit and your family and friends are taken care of it a proper manner. And don't put that down. You must be strong to help anyone else. And you need to be strong to evade the FEMA camps, which I am convinced are right on the horizon of time. And people grow fish in barrels using runoff water. Folks with not much money like us can do a little something to keep themselves in protein. And you want that protein.
I think we, the preppers that read this blog, have the mental capacity to overcome most of our problems in life. We can grow food and raise meat. We can build a house and heat it. We can get around, at least locally. We know how to stay alive. Our big problem is government, here and elsewhere. Government has turned out to be the greatest impediment to the stability of mankind on this planet. Thirty years ago this country was locked in a battle we called the cold war and it consumed our armed forces and our governmental agencies as they tried to be ready for the conflict that never came. One thing it did do was keep the bastards off of OUR backs while we went about our daily grind. Major crime was not too big a thing. A little bit was around but most crime was social bullshit like gambling and what not. The drugs were in the cities and they stayed there. There were racial problems in some places and that was unfortunate. But the economy kept getting bigger and people were sold more and more shit that they didn't need and this term "The American Dream" was bantered about and came to be seen as a necessity. This is where we started to fall. Cause the politicians got a hold of it and ran with it. And we became a femocracy instead of a republic. 51% could legally take what the other 49% had. The bankers and Wall street picked up on what the politicians were doing and the race to the bottom was on. You all know where this has led. The collapse is here but it has not gotten to the shooting stage as yet. But it all started with government and don't ever forget that. Stay alive.