Wednesday, August 13, 2008

JOKES AND PREPS AND FOOD

Got a little funny from Jim Cox, a regular reader of this blog.

Watch out for the Three Kick Rule.

A big city lawyer went duck hunting in rural Tennessee . He shot and dropped a bird, but it fell into a farmer's, field on the other side of a fence.As the lawyer climbed over the fence, an elderly farmer drove up on his tractor and asked him what he was doing. The litigator responded, 'I shot a duck and it fell onto this field, and now I' m going to retrieve it. The old farmer replied, 'This is my property, and you are not coming over here. The indignant lawyer said, 'I am one of the best trial attorneys in the United States and if you don't let me get that duck, I'll sue you and take everything you own. The old farmer smiled and said, 'Apparently, you don't know how we settle disputes in Tennessee . We settle small disagreements with the 'Three Kick Rule.'' The lawyer asked, 'What is the 'Three Kick Rule?' The Farmer replied, 'Well, because the dispute occurs on my land , I get to go first.' I kick you three times and! then you kick me three times and so on back and forth until someone gives up. The attorney quickly thought about the proposed contest and decided that he could easily take the old codger. He agreed to abide by the local custom. The old farmer slowly climbed down from the tractor and walked up to the attorney. His first kick, he planted the toe of his heavy steel toed work boot into the lawyer's groin and dropped him to his knees. His second kick to the midriff sent the lawyer's last meal gushing from his mouth. The lawyer was on all fours when the old farmer's third kick to his rear end sent him facefirst into a fresh cow pie. The lawyer summoned every bit of his will and managed to get to his feet. Wiping his face with the arm of his jacket, he said, Okay, you old fart. Now it's my turn.The old farmer smiled and said , 'Na, I give up. You can have the duck.'
*
I've been reading blogs written by intellectuals this morning, along with my regular reading schedule. And some of them are very smart indeed. And they can wrap words around their thoughts in a skillful manner. Interesting people. My observations left me wondering what they were advocating we should do. With all their wonder observations, what was their conclusion as to the activity we all should pursue. That was the vague point in the presentations. And I believe it is getting to the point that we need some conclusions and a little less talk. We need to know things and practice things that will keep us alive.

I have many years of study trying to fathom the idiocy of the nations of this planet. I have cast about looking for alternative places to live. I have read newspapers and web pages until my mind was beginning to snap. And nothing made any more sense than group survival. I looked back into the past and saw that man had always banded together for security. The cities of Asia and Europe were formed by people banding together for commerce and protection. The first large empires were formed by the people who could defend and fight the best of all those around them. When our ancestors came here and settled this land the lived in villages and protected each other. The Indians did much the same. When the great migration started to the West the settlers went in wagon trains to insure they would make it, or at least insure it as much as they could. When things were shaky, you bunched up until the danger was passed. You circled the wagons.

I was going to do an inventory of my preps today but I have decided to do it next week. I am going to wrap my stuff in another layer of plastic and there is no sense going through everything twice. We will use a note book and write down everything we have for a visual analysis when the work is done. I suppose I could do an little write p of my ammo here directly. I keep adding and now I am getting to wonder about how much I really do have. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

I read a super article on heat for the Winter this morning. It was called Casaubon's Book and it is at http://sharonastyk.com/ . Pretty informative. The woman writing it has children and an aversion to paying high fuel bills. They wear extra clothing in the Winter and close off part of the house and things like that. She has a really informative treatise on heat and cold and energy use. A very level headed person.

The wife just took a load of savory scones out of the oven. Man! Hot scones and Amish butter coming up!

I am now sated with scones and Amish butter. That is the wonder of word processors. You can be doing something and walk away and come back and take up right where you left off. I got another idea for a way to have your own business. Start a country inn or a bed and breakfast. Serve the kind of food people in your area will enjoy and cook it well and make the money. It is a down economy right now and restaurants have been taking some pretty big hits but it can still be done. You can have a cheaper menu on certain nights and all kinds of things to promote your trade. Just a thought. If times get really tough I don't know about security. Nasty people might want to take your food and your money and maybe your life. In which case you might have to shut down.

But however things go, try to stay alive.

Michael

mboone@rtccom.net

1 comment:

scoutinlife said...

Good joke!Simple can be the most practicaland rewarding ways in living our lives and talking to others!