Thursday, December 4, 2008


Thieves make off with 130 guns in Vancouver smash-and-grab

by Desiree Aflleje, The Oregonian
Thursday December 04, 2008, 5:20 PM

Officials estimate 130 firearms were stolen early Sunday during a break-in at a Vancouver firearms store. Investigators are still tallying the total inventory loss from Brightwater Ventures, at 12200 N.E. 60th Way, said Kim Kapp, Vancouver Police spokeswoman. Most of the stolen weapons were handguns.

Around 1:42 a.m., about seven to 10 minutes after the store alarm went off, patrol officers arrived at the store. They found a smashed window and open front door. "It looks like the thief or thieves worked pretty fast," Kapp said.

The Career Criminal Apprehension Team and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are investigating the incident. The store's owner, Michael Feiss, confirmed this afternoon that there had been a break-in but said he would not comment while the incident is under investigation.

Assistant Special Agent in Charge Douglas Dawson, of the ATF Seattle Field Division, said that it appears Brightwater Ventures was in compliance with all regulations for a firearms store. He said it's rare for such a large amount of firearms to be taken.

The stolen inventory will be entered into the National Crime Information Center database. Officials are asking anyone with information to call 1-800-ATF-GUNS. A reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the crime. Dawson said he hopes to solve the case quickly " before these guns fall into the wrong hands." --

Desiree Aflleje;


Phil said...

Right in my back yard, I didn't get read the paper today.
I wonder if Deringolade saw this?

Natog said...

Gun store alarm goes off, and a 7-10 minute response time! Imagine if it was just an "armed gunman in the home" 911 call? The guy would have time to rape and kill everyone in the family, take a dump and fix himself a sandwich before the cops showed up.

Someone f'd up royally on this one, either the cops or the alarm company's dick's in the wind. Wonder if the media will catch this.